Sunday, January 9, 2011

Pizza Dough and Sauce

When it comes down to it, pizza may be my favorite food.  It's a complete food, meaning you don't need accessories like rice or noodles and it is hot and cheesy and the toppings are infinite and all good.  You can go upscale or street-style and each is wonderful in its own way.  The only pizza I can't care too much for is deep dish, but I'm willing to give it a go on occasion, why not?  Homemade pizza is another style I fancy, ever since I figured out how to make a pizza with crispy bottoms.  As mentioned in my previous posts, I use a little cast iron pan and that makes a nice personal sized pizza just for me.  Today I tried out the Pioneer Woman's pizza recipe and it made a pizza with a light airy crust.  I didn't follow the directions perfectly unfortunately, because my oven was at 450 instead of 500, but it came out nicely, though not quite what I was used to.  I think I'd like a chewy crust, but I don't know how to make that yet.  Here is her recipe:

1/2 tsp yeast
3/4 cup warm water
2 cups flour (250 grams)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/6 cup olive oil

Mix yeast and water together, set aside.  Mix flour and sugar together then mix in olive oil until incorporated.  Mix in yeast/water until dough comes together.  Best after rising in fridge 3-4 days.

And here is my old recipe:

1 tbs yeast
3/4 cup warm water
pinch of sugar

1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt

My favorite pizza is one made with pesto, grape tomatoes, goat cheese and extra sharp cheddar, but these ingredients are not always in my house so then I like to employ pizza sauce and spare vegetables from my bin.  Here is the sauce I usually use, because tomato paste is easy to have around and the other things I typically have on hand.  Note: the original recipe called for some minced garlic and parmesan cheese but these are things you can just add directly to the pizza in my opinion.

Pizza Sauce (adjusted bc I lacked many ingredients)

1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
6 oz warm water
1 tbs honey
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
pinch ground pepper
2 pinches salt

No comments:

Post a Comment