Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Cabled Hat

I made this hat originally as a practice hat. I was in the process of making the Reversible Cabled Scarf and thought a matching cabled hat would be cute. This practice hat turned out well but I think I will use the rest of my other yarn to make a kitty hat instead. I think I'm cabled out for now...

[picture to come]

Patons Yarn (worsted weight, 100% wool, blue)

Pattern from http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt11.htm

Directions:

Cast on 88 stitches on 3 double pointed size 8 needles (28 stitches on first and second needles, 32 stitches on last)
Round #1: knit 3, purl 1 for the entire round.
Repeat Round #1 until 2" are completed.

Start Pattern:

Row 1: P2, K6, P2, K1 (repeat for entire round).
Rows 2 - 4: repeat Row #1 three more times.
Row 5: P2, slip next three stitches onto cable needle and hold in back of work, K3, knit stitches from the cable needle, P2, K1 (repeat for entire round).
Rows 6-8: Repeat Row #1 three more times.

Repeat these 8 rows for pattern until hat measures about 5" from beginning of pattern (7" from beginning of cap)

Shaping:

Row 1: K2 sts together, K9. Repeat across entire row.
Row 2: K2 sts together, K8. Repeat across entire row.
Row 3: K2 sts together, K7. Repeat across entire row.
Row 4: K2 sts together, K6. Repeat across entire row.
Row 5: K2 sts together, K5. Repeat across entire row.
Row 6: K2 sts together, K4. Repeat across entire row.
Row 7: K2 sts together, K3. Repeat across entire row.
Row 8: K2 sts together, K2. Repeat across entire row.
Row 9: K2 sts together, K1. Repeat across entire row.
Row 10: K2 sts together across entire row.

Finishing:

Cut the yarn, leaving a 10" tail. Thread it through the remaining stitches and draw up tightly, weaving in the end.

Comments:

I followed the instructions exactly and felt the cap was a little too long for my taste. In any case, it didn't look so flattering on me since my hair is so short. I think I'll give it to Jess if she likes it. The cables are quite pretty though.



No comments:

Post a Comment