Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Buttony Sweater

YAAAAAAAY!!! My first sweater is finally done (more or less, I still have to block it but I was too excited not to post this almost-finished version). I had to change the color of the photo to sepia b/c my camera is awful and all my pictures are coming out yellow. The sweater itself is grey (or more precisely, Bulky Peruvian Highland wool from Knitpicks in Pewter) and knitted using size 9 needles. I followed the directions from ohmystars but cast on fewer stitches (72 instead of 96) which resulted in a higher neck. Since I decreased the number of stitches cast on, I redistributed the remaining stitches to maintain the correct proportions:

Front Left (6)
Sleeve (10)
Back (20)
Sleeve (10)
Front Right (rest)

I also pretty much ran out of yarn so I made the sleeves short but that is a pretty good look for this sweater I think. Because I was extremely paranoid about the fit of the sweater, I probably tried it on far too often during the beginning stages but I think it was worth it in the end. Super flexible pattern and I'm looking forward to my next shipment of Knitpicks yarn (worsted weight, superwash merino in a pretty blue) to try this sweater again. Too bad it is currently freezing cold in Philadelphia so I can't wear this sweater around but it really turned out awesome I think.

Here is the pattern:

CO 96 sts

Row 1: Slip 1, K 5, work in 2 x 2 rib to last 6 sts, K 6
Work this row 5 times more.

Row 7: (RS) Slip 1, K 5, pm, K 13, pm, K 32, pm, K 13, pm, K to end
Row 8: (WS) Slip 1, K5, P to last 6 sts, K6
Row 9: Slip 1, (K to within 1 st of marker, M1, K2, M1) to end
Row 10: as row 8

Every 10th row (RS) work a buttonhole as folls: Work as Row 9 to last 6 sts, K3, yo, k2tog, K to end

Rep rows 9-10 until the sweater fits around the chest and under arms (to try, put front, back and sleeves on separate holders or waste yarn).

Knit left front, back and right front onto one needle and work flat and even (keeping garter st border and buttonholes correct) until you've made 10 buttonholes (work should meas about 14" from underarm). You can add some waist shaping into the sides if you like a snugger fit. Work in 2x2 rib for 4", keeping garter st edge correct and adding two more buttonholes. BO loosely.

Knit sleeves in round, decreasing 2 sts (k2tog, k2, ssk) at underarm seam every 8 rows. finish off with 4" of 2x2 rib and BO.

Block and sew on 12 large buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment