Sunday, April 13, 2008

Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad

Yesterday I decided two things: 1) I was sick of roasted broccoli with garlic, salt and pepper (my favorite way of cooking broccoli for the past 2-3 months) and 2) it's been ages since I tried a new recipe. So with that and a bag of TJ broccoli florets in mind, I attempted the NYT's Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad. The picture is awful but it is a wonderful dish. I have just been eating this straight out of my mixing bowl and the urge to snag one every hour is irresistible. Prepared this way, the broccoli stays maximally crispy yet not raw-tasting and has incredible amounts of flavor. Next time I make this, I will try adding cubed tofu pieces for a nice lunch.

1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
2 heads broccoli, 1 pound each, cut into bite-size florets (or 1 bag TJ broccoli)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 fat garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
2 teaspoons roasted (Asian) sesame oil
Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes.

1. In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and toss to combine.
2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot, but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in sesame oil and pepper flakes. Pour mixture over broccoli and toss well. Let sit for at least 1 hour at room temperature, and up to 48 (chill it if you want to keep it for more than 2 hours). Adjust seasonings (it may need more salt) and serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 side-dish servings or more as an hors d'oeuvre.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I have broccoli and tofu too so I'll make this later in the week!

    ReplyDelete