Monday, April 6, 2009

Pizza II


I forgot all about making pizza for a while until one day I impulsively grabbed some mozarella from TJ. It sat around for a while and then one evening I decided to make a basic pizza to stave off hunger. This was not that pizza, because I was trying to make it and play dota at the same time. The end result was lackluster, on both fronts. So a week later I gave it another go. If you have the patience to wait the hour it takes for the dough to rise, it is a tasty treat.

The recipe for the dough is from Brian's mom and I've halved the recipe so that the dough is just enough for my little cast iron pan:

Pizza dough:
combine
1.5 tsp yeast
1/4 + 1/8 cup of warm water
1/4 tsp sugar

wait 5-10 minutes for the yeast to proof and get nice and frothy

add to yeast mixture
1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 cup of flour (eyeballed this)
1/4 tsp salt

knead for 5 minutes. i usually knead in the bowl since the ball of dough is fairly small

lightly oil the dough with some olive oil and allow to rise for 45 minutes

oil the cast iron pan with olive oil and stretch dough into the pan. add whatever toppings you like. in this case, i used canned tomatoes (whole tomatoes, crushed with my hands and drained), scatterings of parsley and chopped garlic, grated mozarella.

bake in a 450 degree oven for maybe 15 minutes or so.  make sure to check on it and see how the crust looks.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: