Saturday, January 2, 2010

Toor Dal

I've been trying to make this for a while now and have not been super pleased with the results. I threw a few things together today and it wasn't so bad. Enjoyed this with my chicken biryani.

1 cup toor dal, rinsed well
3 cups of water
2 garlic cloves

Cook the above together for a while (20 min?) until soft. Mashed the dal a bit with my spatula and cook the water off until it is creamy-ish. Toward the end, start adding salt and tasting until right (this is always hard for me, I perpetually underseason things).

in a separate little nonstick pan:

1/2 tbs oil (I don't really know how much I put in)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 small onion, chopped

Heat oil, cook spices, add onion. Cook together until the onion is soft and brown. Add this mix to the dal. Maybe cook another minute together. Eat with some chopped parsley or cilantro on top.

1 comment:

  1. mmm sounds good. mommy gave me a bag of lentils. i wonder if i can make them like this.

    ReplyDelete