Monday, January 24, 2011

Happiness (Number One)

I have a lot to be grateful for in my life, it often amazes me how much I have and how lucky I am.  One lucky break is being born with a naturally happy temperament.  I'm grateful I can find pleasure in almost anything and can generally see the good side (or at least the funny side) of trying situations.  Anyway, I am starting a new series for myself, of happy things.  The first thing (this will not be ranked in any way, just whatever comes to mind) is:

Food.  I like cooking it, shopping for it, eating it, reading about it, dreaming about it, everything!  The variety is endless, it pleases all the senses and captures imagination.  Food probably gives me the most pleasure because it is associated with so many of life's events.  There's nothing like eating with those you love or just celebrating with it.  At the same time, when you walk in your own apartment after a long day, there are  few things better than that quiet meal, carefully made, eaten with your own thoughts.  As I mentioned in the past couple of posts, I've been re-reading MFK Fisher and finding fresh joy in her writings on food and people.  I like being a ghost in her life, mapping out the turns by her meals and memories of the meals.  It makes me  think back to the dinners I've given for people and what I served and then I think, I should do that more.  There aren't enough excuses for people to gather and know each other better, so I should create one.  And then memories of the food I gave and the happy festive feelings attending the food will reside in those who were present, I believe even after the party is over.  This of course, assumes the dinner was a good one to begin with, with the right people and etc.  

Generally, I like that I get hungry on a regular basis throughout the day.  Mostly because each time I am hungry I have a  fresh opportunity to eat something delightful and maybe new and maybe familiar.  Happiness!

1 comment:

  1. This post pretty much captures what I love so much about you. I just had a long chat with my mom about the diet regimen that I have been on, and we both agreed that it's time for me to start enjoy food and eating again. Purely enjoying it. And your blog has certainly been an inspiration. So thank you and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

    ReplyDelete