Friday, March 18, 2011

Freezing Spring

According to what I learned from my elementary school days, the months of the seasons are as follows:

Summer: June, July, August
Fall: September, October, November
Winter: December, January, February
Spring: March, April, May

So technically, it should be spring and I should be greeting lettuce seedlings.  Unfortunately, right after I planted the suckers (direct sowing into my container on the balcony), the weather dropped to low 40s and it has rained incessantly.  This recalls something else I learned: March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb.  So despite checking obsessively the past few days, I still have no seedlings.  Perhaps I should have learned something from living on the East Coast for so many years, which is that the seasons often fall along these lines:

Summer: May, June July, August
Fall: September, October
Winter: November, December, January, February, March, half of April
Spring: the other half of April

This year though, while I am shivering under multiple sweaters, my friends back East are scootering all over the city in light jackets.  You know who you are!  

I have seen nary a fly all day so I think I will start some plants indoors this week, wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. aw take a pic of your balcony. maybe by the time i come, you'll have some seedlings?

    ReplyDelete