Saturday, May 28, 2011

Miscellaneous This and That


I've been making my collages in Picasa but I'm starting to wonder if it might not be a little easier to just do it in Photoshop.  Trying to get my pictures to line up properly in Picasa was not completely easy, and even now I doubt they're perfectly aligned.  

Anyway, here are some pictures I took while I was in San Diego, although the picture of Tony was obviously taken at home.  Actually the kimchi/bulgogi wraps were of Portland origin also.  I was trying to find new and interesting ways to eat my leftovers and thought hand rolls might be pleasant.  And indeed they were.  My seaweed wraps were not properly sized to make hand rolls, but no one was looking and it tasted fine.  I highly recommend that you pre-toast the seaweed though, to prevent rubberiness.

The Bunny had one red tomato growing in her garden.  I meant to eat it at some point to see how it tasted but somehow never got around to it.  While I was there, my mom made me soup for lunch, using these special squid balls from Taiwan.  I couldn't take the rest of the frozen ones with me so they still reside in the Bunny's freezer, for my next visit.  The idea of squid balls probably sound gross to anyone not Asian, but I am a fan of all fish balls and meat balls.  And I like the minimalist nature of the soup as well.

Fish (Squid) Ball Soup

Put one bowlful of water in a small pot along with frozen fish (squid) balls.  Bring to a boil and let simmer for a while until the fish (squid) balls are completely heated through.  Add thinly sliced scallions (1 or 2 scallions) and season expertly with salt and pepper.  I also like to add a dash of hondashi.  Simmer for a couple of minutes more and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment