By the time I realized that I had forgotten to post my four month update, it was close enough to five months that I figured I'd wait. So here I am again with another progress report. Actually, I don't really have any concrete progress to report, so here are some musings:
- I'm still on the same weights and using the strap for round back. I thought I'd be able to move up by now, but I'm sticking to the same weights because they're still challenging. The interesting thing is that while I definitely feel stronger, my form during exercises got a bit better with time and so the same exercises feel harder. Small adjustments in position really make a difference.
- It's incredible how challenging the class is still. In my previous attempts at exercise, I might be sore for the first week or two but then my body adapts and the soreness subsides. This is not true at all for bar method. I am always always sore after a class and sometimes remarkably so, considering how long I've been going. I'm not an exercise person so I have no idea if this is typical, but it makes me feel great that my body is still responding to it and reshaping.
- I'm not going to lie, it is really hard to go to class in the mornings now that it's so cold. I'm still going four times a week, but this week and last week I only attended three times/week...Still, that beats last year's exercise record by a million and I must say, once I manage to get to class, it feels awesome and I'm proud of myself. The instructors are also always full of energy and super encouraging, which generates a great atmosphere.
- Since my last update, I've been trying very hard to push on through tricep dips and I'm getting better! Sometimes I still have to collapse for a moment, but it's better than before.
- One of the nice things about bar method is the constant stream of instruction. The only decision I have to make is getting myself there, but once I'm there I just follow orders. Considering how many decisions I have to make at work and in my life in general, this is actually really relaxing.
That's all for now. As I write this, my butt, arms, legs and abs are all sore from this morning's class. Crazy.