Sunday, March 25, 2012

Simple Dinner

Salted edamame with cheese and scallion scone and tea 

As a busy working person, I often cook during the weekend and cobble together leftovers for meals throughout the week.  Cooking is a relaxing and enjoyable pastime for me so I try to make as many things from scratch as possible.  Certain weekends end up being busier than others, if I have to make things like bread and kimchi and what have you.  Since it's just me though, the food I make lasts a long time and I can often freeze portions away for future use.  I have a set of rotating staples I often cook, but it's also fun to try new recipes.  A couple of weekends ago I tried out the cheese and scallion scones from Farmgirl Fare.  This recipe was quite a cinch to throw together, but when they first came out of the oven, I was kind of disappointed because the texture was really not what I was anticipating.  However, I've found that they toast up marvelously for breakfasts.  The texture is still not scone-like, but it's a delicate bready texture with a crispy crumbly crust and generally pleasing.  I definitely recommend making these in advance and re-toasting for serving.  And they freeze very well too!

Cheese and Scallion Scones (adapted from Farmgirl Fare)

2½ to 3 cups all-purpose flour (12.5 oz to 15 oz)
1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
4 ounces cream cheese, softened in the microwave 15-30 seconds (you want it very soft)
4 scallions, green & white parts, chopped
1 cup whole milk or half and half
1 large egg

Optional Egg glaze:
Beat 1 egg and 2 Tablespoons of milk (or half and half) well with a fork (I omitted this because I always kind of hate wasting an egg on glazes)


1. Heat the oven to 400°.

2. Combine 2½ cups of the flour, the baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add the cheeses & toss gently with a fork until combined.
4. Add the scallions & toss gently with a fork until combined.
5. Beat the milk (or half and half) with the egg and gently it fold into the dry ingredients, mixing lightly until a soft dough forms. Add up to 1/2 cup additional flour if the dough is too sticky.
6. On a floured surface, gently pat the dough into a circle approximately 1-inch thick (or into two smaller circles for 12 scones). The key to tender scones is to handle the dough as little as possible and with a light touch.

7. With a sharp knife (I use a large serrated knife dipped in flour), cut the circle(s) into 8 wedges and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I used foil bc I was out of parchment)

8. Brush the tops and sides of the scones with the egg glaze if desired, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm, or cool completely and refrigerate or freeze in a heavy zipper bag or airtight container.

1 comment: