Saturday, August 16, 2008

Adventures in Gardening (doing well)

I took this picture of my chives a couple of days ago. I tried to take an updated picture right now but the sun is too bright and my camera is kind of crappy so it didn't come up well. But let me say that my chives are looking good and there are sprouts in each well except one. In other news, I planted a fresh crop of lettuce today because I was worried that my bread pan was not providing any drainage and my seeds might have rotted away. I've been reading about damping off and feeling extremely alarmed. I think I'm going to get a little fan today to provide some circulation to my seedlings. The white mold on the toilet paper rolls that my sage seedlings are sitting in worries me in particular. So far, the sage seedlings seem to be doing well and there is one seedling in each roll (4 total). Anyway, I planted the lettuce in an old strawberry container and made a tiny greenhouse. I hope this works.
I also finally planted the coriander seeds Tortoise gave me earlier this week. I soaked them overnight (none of them sank, again a worry) and planted several seeds in two plastic cups. I didn't take a picture of that because it is not that attractive.
In compost news, there is no smell so far, but everytime I open the lid to throw stuff in a bevy of fruit flies fly out. I hope it's not a problem. I need to collect some more leaves to toss in this weekend. It's too bad ferret is busy with the ORS deadline or else I would make him come with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment