Sunday, July 19, 2009

Eel and Avocado Sushi

I wish I had taken a picture; however, by the time I thought to, I had already eaten them all. I'll make these again soon and post. The sushi rice is based on Alton Brown's recipe and the following recipe is enough for three rolls.

Sushi Rice
3/4 cup short-grain rice in 1 cup water. Cook in rice cooker until done.

In small bowl, mix 1 tbs rice vinegar, 1 tbs sugar, 1/2 tbs kosher salt. Microwave for about 30 seconds.

Turn the rice out into a large mixing bowl and mix in the vinegar solution with a rice paddle. You need to cool the rice rather rapidly while you are mixing so it doesn't turn mushy and so each grain is covered by a nice shiny coating of vinegar. To do so you can a) hold a magazine in your left hand and wave it frantically over the rice while you mix with your right hand or b) stand in front of an electric fan or a/c while mixing. I have done both and obviously b) is much easier on the arms.

Sushi
Heat up the eel (1 frozen package, purchased in chinatown) in the oven and slice into strips. Slice one ripe avocado into strips as well.

Once the rice is at room temperature, lay out your bamboo mat (I hope you have one) and place a sheet of nori on it. I never remember if it is shiny side up or down, but I think I usually place it shiny side down. Spread a single layer of rice over a sheet of nori, you really don't want a ton of rice. In the middle or bottom third area, place the strips of avocado and eel. Roll up.

Once you make all your rolls, wet a serrated edge knife and slice into cross-sectional pieces. I usually rewet the knife for each roll. Wetting keeps the rice from sticking to the knife and enables you to have clean looking pieces.

Note: I find it impossible to keep the nori crispy. It pretty much gets limp and chewy immediately. I dunno what to do about this, toast it?

1 comment:

  1. oh wow a post! what a miracle!

    jk, sounds delicious.

    btw, it's out of line that you have Bunny's wedding to still post about in your list of to dos on the right. out of line...

    ReplyDelete