Monday, September 6, 2010

Moving to Portland

I moved to Portland officially on Saturday (Sept 4) with Tony in tow. I was a little stressed about he would do on such a long journey so did not have the presence of mind to take any pictures of the trip, but I'm happy to say that he made it just fine and had zero accidents despite being shut up in his carrier for 11+ hours. Incredibly, he didn't make a fuss and even napped on the plane. Because my flight was delayed and Jess's flight was early, there was only a 15 minute difference between our arrivals. I was on the train ahead of hers and ended up meeting her at the station closest to my new place. My new landlady, Kristine, kindly met us at the same stop and she (even more kindly!) dragged my suitcase to the apt. She was already exceeding all kinds of records for kindness to a stranger, but an all-time high was hit when we arrived to the following welcome package:

















Please note that there was also a small wheel of brie in the fridge, along with a 6-pack of pomegranate-blueberry spritzer. Jess and I basically survived on these items for the first two days here. She had previously offered up an air mattress and a ride from the airport, but I felt too bad about taking her up on this since we hadn't met yet. Which explains why Jess and I have been sleeping on the extremely hard floors of the bedroom:



















I'm hoping this will improve my posture; I'm certainly now very aware of every bone and protrusion I possess in my body. To sum up, so far Portland has been extremely pleasant, I adore my apartment, I adore the new items I bought from Ikea (to be shown after assembly) and am awaiting the arrival of the rest of my stuff. We've been eating at various places around the neighborhood and taking little walks. I think I will really enjoy living here.

2 comments: