Thursday, January 20, 2011

Random This and That

The first thing:
I got off the bus today and walked down the block and crossed the street as I always do.  Sometimes I cross to one side, sometimes to the other.  It depends on the light and incoming traffic.  Today I dashed across on the side I was already on even though the hand sign was madly flashing.  There was a group of 6 men just huddled together in two clusters of three and I thought it best to avoid walking directly by them if I could.  This turned out to be an extra wise move, because I had not taken more than a few steps when I heard quite a bit of ruckus coming from that group.  Looking across, I saw that a bunch of men with POLICE written on their jackets had hopped out of a red van and was busy holding out guns and shouting.  This was not unnaturally fascinating to me so I stopped in my tracks and gazed on the ensuing scene for several minutes.  At one point it did occur to me that there may be stray bullets and perhaps I should move a bit further on, so I did that and kept looking.  If you must know, all men were successfully rounded up, handcuffed and put into the van without too much ado, and I went on my way home.  I imagine it was some kind of drug related thing, but who knows.

The second thing:
I have 4 minutes left to go on my pizza but I have a few thoughts on pizza generally.  Actually, I think I think about pizza quite a lot, because it is one of my favorite foods in the world.  One thing that makes it so wonderful is its versatility.  Tonight I snatched up another third of the dough I made last night and patted it out flat into my pan.  For topping, I spread the last of my butternut squash and walnut bruschetta topping and then covered it all with shredded mozzarella and a dash or two of salt.  And voila!  Pizza.  Everything is smelling quite fine right now and I'm looking forward to eating it and maybe having a small glass of wine.

Such is life, you go from drug bust to a tasty dinner.  I'm not sure there is much to connect the two, unless you happen to be in an indie flick.  I've got MFK Fisher on the brain recently so I think it is time to revisit some of her writings and take fresh inspiration from her life and thoughts.  Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is very pleasant and engaging to read, whatever it is about.

    ReplyDelete